For every email sent from SmartrMail, we automatically track and attribute sales that your emails influence.
By default, your store is set to a last open attribution model. If a subscriber receives and opens an email within 5 days - the sale will be attributed to SmartrMail in your dashboard. Here are few more more technical details:
- If multiple emails were sent within 5 days to the subscriber who made a purchase, we will attribute the sale to the email most recently opened.
- Sales are only attributed to SmartrMail if the subscriber engaged with your email. If they didn't open the email the sale won't be attributed to us.
- If you send an email more than 5 days ago, but the subscriber opens it within 5 days we won't attribute the sale to your email.
Why do we track conversions this way?
We do this because, according to Google, 85% of online shoppers start a purchase on one device and finish on another (for example, they'll open the email on a mobile device but then go to their desktop to make a purchase).
Other limitations with most e-commerce platforms also make this is the best way for us to track sales. Pixel tracking can be limiting if a subcriber opens an email on one device and makes a purchase on another. Adblockers can also block pixel tracking from working correctly.
These reasons make tracking conversions through a last-open attribution model the standard for email marketing in the industry.
If you're on Shopify you can also use our last-click attribution model. In this case, we'll only attribute the sale to SmartrMail if a customer click through your email and makes a purchase within the same session.
You can do this by navigating to the settings page:
Once on the settings page, select the last-click attribution model for Shopify
If you're not on Shopify and want to use a last-click attribution model, you can track sales generated by SmartrMail by using our handy Google Analytics Dashboard: https://analytics.google.com/analytics/web/template?uid=rzyb8KhSQtWltiouExo0NQ
All links generated by SmartrMail automatically append best-practice UTM tags. They are:
For more information, please refer to the following:
The campaigns types are:
- Welcome - autorespondercampaign
- Auto-product - autocampaign
- Manual - manualcampaign
- Automated flow - autofollowupcampaign
- Abandoned cart - abandonedcartcampaign
The date format is DDMMYY
The campaign ID is the string of number appearing in the URL of your campaign's stats page